Friday, July 9, 2010

Jane Eyre

by Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre. Ahhhh yes. I shall tell you directly, when I began this book, I did not expect to enjoy it. I wasn't really in the mood for a dark and mysterious read. But I read it, because I thought it was about time I read something from the DC book list. Well, it didn't take long for me to become enraptured in the story! I found almost the entire book to be very compelling and wonderfully written. I can only remember two parts I thought were somewhat slow. The rest of the book was delightful. I was under the impression it would be exceedingly difficult to read, but I found it to be easy to understand, yet not in the LEAST unintelligently (Is that a word? It's telling me it isn't...) written. I really enjoyed it- a great deal more than I thought I would.

Jane tells the story. She begins by telling about her miserable childhood. She then moves on to tell about her stay at the Rochester mansion, where most of the story takes place. I won't say anything else. I wouldn't be doing the story justice, and I don't want to give anything away.

I recommend this for ages 13 and up. (I just think older kids would get much more out of it.)

Recommended #5
Most girls consider this a book they should probably read at some point in their lives, and I agree with that.

I've seen two movie movie versions, one of which I really liked, one of which I did not. But look, if you enjoyed the book, don't bother seeing any movie. They will never make a Jane Eyre movie that's as good as the book.

Reminder- The Bronze Bow discussion starts July 24th! Read it! And join us.

Always,
Lady A

2 comments:

  1. Ok, this is really funny cuz Katerina and my mom are reading this right now. Love the movie from 1996. William Hurt is a little too nice for Rochester's character, but i like him. All of the Jane's in the movies i have seen have done a pretty poor job acting her. I don't really like the darkness of it but it has a good message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally can't stand the 1996 version. We actually didn't finish it. My family likes the newer one with Georgie Henley as young Jane.

    ReplyDelete