Because of the marked intrest in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, it has been decided to have an open discussion about it. In order to allow our followers time to read it, our discussion will begin on Saturday, March 6th. The time- TBA. Maybe we won't restrict it to a specific time, because of possible time differences? While you read, here are some questions to think about:
1. What effect does the accelerated time scheme have on the play’s development? Is it plausible that a love story of this magnitude could take place so quickly? Does the play seem to take place over as little time as it actually occupies?
2. Compare and contrast the characters of Romeo and Juliet. How do they develop throughout the play? What makes them fall in love with one another?
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Tybalt and Mercutio. Why does Mercutio hate Tybalt?
4. Apart from clashing with Tybalt, what role does Mercutio play in the story? Is he merely a colorful supporting character and brilliant source of comic relief, or does he serve a more serious purpose?
5. How does Shakespeare treat death in Romeo and Juliet? Frame your answer in terms of legal, moral, familial, and personal issues. Bearing these issues in mind, compare the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, Romeo and Mercutio, and Mercutio and Tybalt.
So, of course these don't have to be answered by each person individually, but it should hopefully give a direction to our discussion. If you'd like, here is a quiz about Romeo and Juliet that I found. It's a good way to see how much you know!
SparkNotes: Romeo and Juliet: Quiz
Anyway, talk to you all on the 6th!